I started angel investing in 2014 after I sold my first startup, Eventjoy, to Ticketmaster. I’ve always enjoyed spending time with other founders and riffing with them on what they’re building. Angel investing gave me a way to simultaneously help (and learn from) many founders, and get a crystal ball view into permutations of what the future might look like.
I was hooked.
Fast forward to late 2019. After doing over 20 angel investments into startups like Clearbit, Superhuman, Mercury, Tandem, Placer, and On Deck, I decided to raise a small angel fund with my friend Rahul Vohra, founder of Superhuman. We raised $7.3M from over 50+ world-class founders and operators. We use the fund to help startups find product/market fit faster, supercharge their distribution, and raise from the best investors. It’s a lot of fun.
In 2020, we did over 50 (!) investments. Some were early-stage like Clubhouse, Levels, Daily, and WorkOS. While others were late-stage like Pitch, Coda, Descript, and Eight Sleep. In total, there are now over 100 founders in our community that are building category-defining companies.
We have a lot of exciting things in the works for 2021. I’m now looking for a personal Chief of Staff to help scale operations, run experiments, and better support our portfolio companies.
Some things you’ll work on
- Identify and source potential investments.
- Conduct market research and dive deep on diligence.
- Assist with operations and the fund backoffice.
- Build and run programs for our founder and LP communities.
- Build internal tools and workflows using no-code apps.
- Support portfolio companies, especially by using your superpowers.
- Oversee content production and distribution.
- Run experiments and incubate new internal products.
What I’m looking for
No two Chief of Staff roles are alike, but this role is designed for generalists. You’ll need to be strategic as well as tactical, with a strong bias for getting things done. Experience as an investor or founder is not required.
You might be a great fit if:
- You get things done. You are known for high-velocity execution.
- You are a fast learner. You are resourceful and teach yourself quickly.
- You are a strong communicator, both verbal and written.
- You manage your own schedule and prioritize the most impactful activities.
- You are a systems thinker who can be both strategic and tactical.
- You are inherently curious. You will see new ideas, markets, and founders every day.
- You can be both creative and analytical.
- You have built side projects for fun.
- You are low ego.
These are not hard requirements, but they give an idea what I’m looking for.
You should consider this role if
- You want to learn how to invest in startups.
- You want to spend time helping and learning from portfolio founders.
- You later want to start a company or join an early-stage startup.
Location: Anywhere in the US/Canada
Start date: Q1 2021
How to apply:
If you’re interested, please send me an email at email@example.com with answers to the below questions:
- Links to your LinkedIn, Twitter, AngelList, or other profiles you find relevant.
- What is your current role?
- What are your superpowers?
- What is a tech product you love? Why?
- Why does this role interest you? What would you want to get out of it?
- If you could invest in any early-stage startup, which would it be and why?
- What is something that you’ve built or shipped? (e.g. startup, side project, internal tool, …)
Finally, if you know someone that would be a great fit, please do send this to them!